Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Rescue Mission

On Tuesday October 11, 2011, I walked along the Dutchess Rail Trail from North Grand Avenue to Morgan Lake Park in the City of Poughkeepsie, NY. I followed the paved walkway to the small dock and found that it was surrounded by litter. Empty cigarette cartons, potato chip bags, plastic bags, aluminum cans, plastic and glass bottles had all been carelessly discarded by visitors to the park right near the Lake's shore. Looking around, I thought to myself that I ought to come back one day and clean up some of the litter. It took me less than a minute to realize that there was no reason for me to put off cleaning; I was there and was available to start right away.

I filled one of the plastic shopping bags I found on the ground with bottles and cans. The other I filled with empty chip bags, cigarette cartons and butts, and every other piece of litter that would be considered non-recyclable. After about an hour of cleaning, I headed back to the Rail Trail with the filled bags in hand and disposed of them appropriately at home.

It was this first individual clean up that encouraged me to start a Morgan Lake rescue mission that slowly overtime will involve family, friends and community members who share my ambition to keep Morgan Lake Park free of litter.

1 comment:

  1. Just think if everyone took action in ways to enhance and clean up our environment- we can't wait to join in and help anyway we can Joclyn!

    ReplyDelete